Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Guide to the BBS: BBSer's Spill All!

If you have not already, I recommend reading part one of A Guide to the BBS here.

Today, Whyville Insider interviews BBSer's to get their opinions on BBS happenings. I would like to thank MadamTaz, natnat10, XkaylaX5, HotTrent1 and ooooopppp for taking the time to be interviewed.

When did you start BBSing?

MadamTaz: I started BBSing in 2012, when I was eleven.

natnat10:  I don't really have a good guestimate, but I would say 2008-2009. There are only a few BBSers who still regularly log on from when I first started. When I first started BBSing, there was only one "hidden" section for the few of us who discovered it. We only posted on human body, no matter what the topic was.

XkaylaX5: 2012. Gah, the glory days

HotTrent1: I discovered the wonderful world of the BBS in 2011 when my friend showed me.

ooooopppp: I started being the best pest in the BBS in late 2006 or early 2007, but I don't think anybody noticed until a few years later, lol.

What's your favourite section to post on?

MadamTaz: My favourite section would probably be Life in Whyville. There's a range of posts and they're the most relevant to me.

natnat10:  There are always fun topics in the Human Body section. My other favorites are School, Life in Whyville/Other topics, Music, Beauty & Fashion, and Emotions and Coping.

XkaylaX5: For Sale/Wanted, Emotions and Coping, and the Human Body.

HotTrent1: My favorite section to post in is Life in Whyville. I have no favorite subsection. The section [Life inWhyville] opens up to business that can lead to millions of clams. Life in Whyville can also help people communicate about random topics.

ooooopppp: That depends; if I'm in character, I don't care what section it is, I'm just happy to derail any thread. Out of character, I actually enjoy discussing current events! Though no one can take me serious when I'm trying to make a real point, lol.

What are your biggest BBS pet-peeves?

MadamTaz: I really hate it when people do not even make an effort to use grammar. Yes, I know, call me pretentious, but it really irks me when people disregard basic grammar rules. Full stops and capital letters are REALLY basic skills, we should be able to use it. Seeing abused apostrophes makes me sad.

natnat10:  Sometimes I disagree with others' opinions, but arguments in interesting topics are my favorite.
Also, I despise the For Sale/Wanted section being more popular than the Life in Whyville and Other Topics subsections.

XkaylaX5: Jesus, posting unnecessary things, trolling (bad trolling), rude posts. Also re-bumping buying threads, like, you're not gonna get that.

HotTrent1: One pet peeve of mine has to be the trolls.They can be funny, but they're mostly annoying people. Something else that bothers me is when people lie constantly to seek attention. I also don't like it when people post in the wrong section. It's fine if it's something understandable that the thread is in the wrong section, it's annoying.

oooooppppThe only thing that bothers me is that there aren't as many users on the BBS as there were years ago, or on any part of Whyville at all. So it's kind of boring now.

What's your opinion on trolling? Do you have a favourite or least favourite troll? Do you feed the trolls?

MadamTaz: I think trolling is okay when it's appropriate. I don't like trolls who make too many suggestive comments or post things which degrade others. It's not necessary and they should have better things to do. Trolls can liven up the BBS, so I think it's like "everything in moderation", in both senses of the word. My favourite troll would be Springtan; I'd laugh a lot at her posts. She had this thread about microwaving ants and the way that other BBS users responded had me in stitches. I don't feed the trolls because I can never think of anything witty.

natnat10: Well, usually when "trolls" post, I reply with a sarcastic or rude comment when in reality I find them hilarious.

XkaylaX5: ooooopppp is funny, but just a tad too funny. CAIR0 isn't a troll, but he's so funny. I don't think I feed them, but if it's funny, I'll reply.

HotTrent1: I should've read all the questions before I started answering. Oh well! Anyway, I think that they can be funny, but more often, they're annoying. Lemme put it like this: they're fun when there's nothing going on. My favorite troll is the Banjomann guy; he's decent. At first, I did feed the trolls, but I've learned to ignore it.

ooooopppp: I think it's funny that you ask me this question. Haha. No, I don't have a favorite or least favorite troll, and I do feed some of them; they keep things interesting.

Do you have any advice for new BBSer's?

MadamTaz: My advice would be to not throw a party for yourself and spam it all over the BBS. I did that when I first joined, and I swear most of the users hated me for months after. Also, try to use your grammar and punctuation to the best of your abilities. Think before you post; once it's out there, it's out there forever! 

natnat10:  Don't try too hard; everyone here is pretty welcoming and you can get used to the environment easily. The majority of us are accepting, and quite interesting people to get to know. Be friendly and you'll be loved.

XkaylaX5: Just don't be too needy or questioning. Just be yourself. Hit up the pinned posts, they're usually important and full of awesome information.

HotTrent1: My advice to newcomers: try not to be annoying. Be free to ask questions and everything, but try to get the grasp of everything before you go around and say something you'll "regret". Your first impression will stay, so make it good!

ooooopppp: Don't be intimidated by anybody. Don't let the bullies, or the trolls, or the rude/snobby oldbies bother you. Be active on the BBS and post often, start threads of your own and voice your opinions of things but be respectful of other people and their opinions, and everything will work out fine.

Well, I definitely got some interesting answers. Great minds think alike it seems. Until next time! Happy posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated! Feel free to leave your Whyville username, but please keep it PG! Comments I deem inappropriate, rude, or vulgar will not be published.